« Home | Molly's new collar » | Hallelujah! » | Do I have to go back to work? » | New Things » | Some unsettling questions » | Bagels and Swoosh » | Puppy Love » | Clean Sweep » | Photo shoot » | Predictability » 

Friday, February 03, 2006 

Sing Along

Earlier I had one of those moments when I realized there's more to this transition into the "mother subculture" than changing a diaper in under 60 seconds and learning how to do everything one-handed while carrying a child (I mastered that one last night at Gymboree, by the way). Autumn was tired and cranky and the swing wasn't soothing her, so I took her into my arms and sang "Part of That World" from The Little Mermaid. I know that song by heart because I used to babysit for a little girl who insisted on watching that movie and Grease 2 every time I watched her.

As soon as I finished the song I could tell Autumn was just about to fall asleep so I launched into "Kiss the Girl." I got about halfway through the song and my mind went blank. I couldn't remember the lyrics so I started faking it. "Fa la la la la blah blah blah, look at the boy blah blah he want to kiss the girl..." Luckily Autumn fell asleep before I had to stumble through something from Aladdin or The Lion King.

Later in the evening I decided to listen to some music and put on Madonna's "True Blue." I explained to Autumn that "True Blue" was the first Madonna album I ever bought and happily sang to "Papa Don't Preach" and "Open Your Heart." Never once did I miss a beat as I shook my behind and waved my hands in the air while my daughter looked on. She smiled a bit but mostly sucked on her hand while I re-lived my teenage years through the tunes of one of the trashiest pop stars in American music history.

When the CD ended, Autumn got a little cranky. I was in another room and heard Nathan ask her what was wrong.

"She wants more Madonna" I said. Nathan put in a collection of Madonna ballads and the girl fell right to sleep.

I'm sure at some point I'm going to have to add some more age appropriate songs to my repetoire. I do have most of the opening theme to "Sponge Bob Square Pants" down. That's a start, right?

About me

  • I'm Heather
  • From Grand Rapids, Michigan, United States
  • I'm a Michigan woman hoping to discover the secret to fitting 36 hours into a 24-hour day. Work, family, life, laundry blogging. Who has time for it all?
My profile

What I'm Reading

Frequent Haunts


    www.flickr.com
    This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from Nathan & Heather N. tagged with Autumn. Make your own badge here.

    < ? Blogging Mommies # >

    - Crazy/Hip Blog-Mamas+
    (Random Site)

Powered by Blogger
and Blogger Templates
Blog Flux Directory
eXTReMe Tracker