« Home | New Things » | Some unsettling questions » | Bagels and Swoosh » | Puppy Love » | Clean Sweep » | Photo shoot » | Predictability » | Catching Up » | Theory vs Reality » | Back to Life » 

Tuesday, January 31, 2006 

Do I have to go back to work?

I only have three more days left of my maternity leave. Autumn spent all day at daycare today and will again on Thursday. I'm not sure how I feel about the woman I have watching her. Of course no one is going to care for her as well as I do, but I'm just not prepared for someone else to watch her all day.

We're still ironing out the kinks with feeding. Unfortunately our provider has never worked with a breastfeeding mother before. I was surprised when she told me that. I would have expected a few nursing moms to have crossed her path now and again. Nathan picked Autumn up today and the provider, Carol, told him she thought Autumn had diarrhea. Autumn has had some rather explosive diapers lately and I don't think Carol is used to the look and consistency of breastfed baby poop. Well, now she knows.

The thing that concerns me most is that I've been sending the number of bottles I expect Carol to feed Autumn throughout the day. Last week Autumn spent two days with Carol, six hours each day. I left two bottles and told Carol when Autumn last fed, but both days I picked her up to find out she had only been fed one.

Today I sent three bottles but she was only fed two. I talked to the pediatrician's office and was told she needs to get at least 24 oz of milk each day. That means if she's only getting 8 oz at daycare then I'm left to try to get in 16 oz in the short time I'm with her and also means she will probably get me up in the middle of the night.

Nathan told me to give it time. After all this was Autumn's first full day with Carol and they both may need to work out some kind of schedule. He said we may have to re-evaluate our daycare choice if Carol continues to only feed Autumn the two bottles.

I think I'm just going to have to ask Carol what obstacles she's been facing in getting in all three bottles. Since she's used to formula fed babies, she may not realize that breastfed babies actually need to feed more. We'll see what happens.

In other news, I went to campus today for our union contract ratification meeting. It was very boring and made me wish I'd brought a pillow, but the good news is I'll finally be getting my raise. It's about time. I'm going to need that money. It's going to Carol.

About me

  • I'm Heather
  • From Grand Rapids, Michigan, United States
  • I'm a Michigan woman hoping to discover the secret to fitting 36 hours into a 24-hour day. Work, family, life, laundry blogging. Who has time for it all?
My profile

What I'm Reading

Frequent Haunts


    www.flickr.com
    This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from Nathan & Heather N. tagged with Autumn. Make your own badge here.

    < ? Blogging Mommies # >

    - Crazy/Hip Blog-Mamas+
    (Random Site)

Powered by Blogger
and Blogger Templates
Blog Flux Directory
eXTReMe Tracker