« Home | Best laid plans » | Not yet » | That Woman » | A little honey » | Family Outings » | Thank heaven... » | Ideas » | Booty » | Signs » | Some things work, some don't » 

Thursday, November 10, 2005 

Stress

I had my final prenatal appointment yesterday. It was so nice to know that this would be the last time I'd have to pee in a cup and get weighed until my six week check-up after the baby is born. My euphoria was short lived as I had to sit an hour in the waiting room because the nurse, who was apparently the only staff on hand, was behind in her appointments.

So I had to wait an hour for a five minute appointment. I wasn't expecting much. At this point all they do is check the baby's heartbeat and ask you if you're feeling any different, if you're swelling more, if the baby's still moving, etc. This time though, the nurse asked me if my doctor had mentioned anything about a non stress test. When I told her she hadn't, the nurse looked at me thoughtfully and suggested it might be a good idea because I was now over-due.

I have to admit I hated the thought of yet another appointment. I was already cranky because of the wait and told the nurse I had to get back to work before the office closed because all my stuff was there and that I hadn't really counted on waiting an hour to see her. She said, "Am I that far behind? That's pretty bad." I wanted to say something along the lines of "no shit" but kept my mouth shut.

I asked the nurse what the purpose of the non stress test was and she told me that at about 38 weeks the placenta starts to gradually break down so that it can easily separate from the uterine wall "which it's supposed to do" after the baby's born. They become concerned when the mom goes over her due date and want to make sure the baby isn't under any stress. "But we really don't consider you past term until 42 weeks," she said.

The nurse asked me if the baby was still moving a lot and I said yes, that she had in fact been squirming around quite a bit as I was in the waiting room waiting to be seen. She said that she wanted me to monitor the baby's movement carefully over the next few days and that if I noticed any change or decrease in movement to call the office right away.

"Well I can probably come in for a non stress test on Monday," I said.

"Oh, we don't do them here," said the nurse. "I'll talk to Dr L., but if Dr. V. (my doctor) didn't say anything to you then she must not have thought it was necessary."

I really hated this nurse. First she makes me wait, then she scares the crap out of me until I agree that maybe the NST is a good idea after all and then says not to worry about the test.

I left the office wanting nothing to do with medical personnel for a very long time. I drove back to work feeling somewhat apprehensive and guilty that perhaps I wasn't doing what was best for my child. I only had two days left of work, the weekend was approaching and I was going to be admitted to the hospital on Tuesday no matter what. Did I really need that test?

Nathan called me when I got back to my desk. He had been to the doctor as well for his horrible cold, which it turns out is the beginning of bronchitis. I was surprised that he sought help at all. He hates doctors as much as I'm starting to and usually will opt to suffer and take over-the-counter meds until he feels better. I was proud of him and told him so. Of course I felt even more guilty for my own selfishness after that.

Unless the doctor's office calls to insist on the test, I'm going to sit tight, monitor the girl's movements and try not to freak out. Hopefully she'll decide to make her appearance before Tuesday.

About me

  • I'm Heather
  • From Grand Rapids, Michigan, United States
  • I'm a Michigan woman hoping to discover the secret to fitting 36 hours into a 24-hour day. Work, family, life, laundry blogging. Who has time for it all?
My profile

What I'm Reading

Frequent Haunts


    www.flickr.com
    This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from Nathan & Heather N. tagged with Autumn. Make your own badge here.

    < ? Blogging Mommies # >

    - Crazy/Hip Blog-Mamas+
    (Random Site)

Powered by Blogger
and Blogger Templates
Blog Flux Directory
eXTReMe Tracker