« Home | Thank heaven... » | Ideas » | Booty » | Signs » | Some things work, some don't » | What, me worry? » | And then there was me » | TomKat and the land of dreams » | E.P.I.D.U.R.A.L » | Where does the belly go during yoga? » 

Saturday, October 29, 2005 

Family Outings

We went to a farmer's market today. It was about an hour away, towards the lakeshore. I heard they have good cheese there and we needed a pumpkin anyway.

Nathan wasn't too keen on going until I offered to drive. Driving has always been a funny thing with us. Neither of us like to do it and we have an unspoken rule that the primary driver of whichever car we take has to drive that car. I always make sure to sit my butt down in the passenger side of Nathan's car whenever we decide to go out.

Today's outing was really nice. Traffic was light and the colors are still beautiful. In a couple of weeks most of the leaves will have dropped and everything will be brown and bare. I would have liked to have taken Molly with us. She loves to be in the car and is an excellent rider. I love looking in the rear view mirror and seeing her head sticking out the window, ears blown black and nose twitching.

Our conversation in the car revolved mostly around the baby, as it does most of the time now. I mentioned that this may be the last spur-0f-the moment trip just the two of us take. Nathan confessed that he had called Ryan yesterday and ended up talking first to Marla, who urged him to take advantage of whatever free time we had left. That's another reason why I didn't get much resistance to the farmers market idea.

As much as I'm looking forward to finally meeting my child, I have to realize that I have few precious days left that belong to just me. I can go to a farmer's market an hour from home, run to the mall on a whim or spend the evening on the couch downstairs without worrying if someone upstairs needs me. Soon I won't be able to take a shower without worrying about leaving my child unattended. I won't be able to just run down to D&W for a gallon of milk without wondering if I should wait until Nathan gets home or just pack the child up in her car seat and take her with me.

I can't remember the last day that didn't involve doing something for the baby. Today's thing was stopping at Lowe's to purchase a remote control with a dimmer for our bedroom ceiling fan since the girl will be sleeping in our room at first. Hopefully by keeping the lights dim at night I won't wake Nathan and she won't be so over-stimulated that she won't go back to sleep after a feeding and diaper change. We also installed our car seat bases, an easy task if you have newer cars with a LATCH system (which we don't).

While part of me is thrilled at starting this new chapter of my life, the other part is starting to miss the life that was. It's not as though I was writing great literary works or curing cancer. I just liked being lazy and having time to do whatever I wanted, even if it was watching "Law and Order" for three hours straight.

Tomorrow will be another outing,this time to Nathan's parents' house, also about an hour away. We have the car seat installed and will be taking Molly with us this time. We want to see how she is with the seat in the back. We even have a baby doll to strap in as a surrogate until the real thing arrives.

About me

  • I'm Heather
  • From Grand Rapids, Michigan, United States
  • I'm a Michigan woman hoping to discover the secret to fitting 36 hours into a 24-hour day. Work, family, life, laundry blogging. Who has time for it all?
My profile

What I'm Reading

Frequent Haunts


    www.flickr.com
    This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from Nathan & Heather N. tagged with Autumn. Make your own badge here.

    < ? Blogging Mommies # >

    - Crazy/Hip Blog-Mamas+
    (Random Site)

Powered by Blogger
and Blogger Templates
Blog Flux Directory
eXTReMe Tracker