« Home | Evidence I have not yet corrupted her little mind » | The first all-nighter » | Mother's Day, part deaux » | Mother's Day » | Chick magnet » | Say adiós to the Cottontail clan » | Open season » | Head trauma » | Leftovers » | Groovin' on a Sunday afternoon » 

Monday, May 22, 2006 

The "n" at the end is silent

After a three week absence, we finally made it to church yesterday morning. We decided to leave Autumn in the nursery this time because she's been getting a little noisy. She babbles, screams and farts very loudly to the point that we're not as quick to claim her as ours. Instead, we'll turn our heads from side to side with annoyed looks on our faces as though it was someone else's child making the rude noises.

Much to my relief, she didn't seem at all traumatized by her stay in the nursery. She had Conner (Ryan and Marla's boy) to hang out with not to mention a room full of brightly colored toys at her disposal.

When we picked her up after the service, I noticed the nursery coordinator had put a name tag on Autumn's back but the "n" at the end of her name was crossed out so that it read "Autum." I went over to the nursery log where I had signed Autumn in and, sure enough, I had misspelled her name.

Autum

The crossed-out letter on the name tag was evidence that someone knew the correct spelling of my daughter's name but that someone was not me. I do that a lot. I'll leave letters off words or insert them when they're not needed. I am totally spell check's bitch, but there's no such tool when you're checking your kid into the church nursery.

The lost "n" bugged me so I tore the name tag off Autumn's back and went over to the log to insert the missing letter. Even though we'd already picked her up, I couldn't let the church people think Autumn's mommy was an illiterate slob, or worse, some fruitcake who would actually name her daughter Autum.

"She babbles, screams and farts very loudly to the point that we're not as quick to claim her as ours."

Laughed so hard at this!

Post a Comment

About me

  • I'm Heather
  • From Grand Rapids, Michigan, United States
  • I'm a Michigan woman hoping to discover the secret to fitting 36 hours into a 24-hour day. Work, family, life, laundry blogging. Who has time for it all?
My profile

What I'm Reading

Frequent Haunts


    www.flickr.com
    This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from Nathan & Heather N. tagged with Autumn. Make your own badge here.

    < ? Blogging Mommies # >

    - Crazy/Hip Blog-Mamas+
    (Random Site)

Powered by Blogger
and Blogger Templates
Blog Flux Directory
eXTReMe Tracker