« Home | In case you were wondering... » | Let's take bread » | It's all part and parcel of the whole mommy gig » | Next, watch me pull a rabbit out of my hat! » | I'll take "Mystery Stains" for $100, Alex » | From Snausages to sausages » | I'm not just the hair club president... » | Smarty pants » | Why hello, piggies! » | The great diaper explosion of 2006 » 

Friday, March 10, 2006 

365 days ago

When you first find out you’re pregnant and are preparing to break the news to your husband, all sorts of clever and romantic scenarios to convey the news pop into your head. Not one of those scenarios involve sending your husband an instant message that goes like this:

YOU: Would I freak you out if I told you I thought I could be pregnant?
HIM: nope

Well, that’s exactly how I broke the news to Nathan one year ago today. We don’t talk to each other on the phone much during work hours because both of our jobs involve answering a lot of customer calls. We’ve found it easier to just IM each other and mostly use it to discuss dinner plans or continue an argument we had before work. You gotta love technology.

I can’t remember exactly what prompted me that day to think I could have been pregnant. I think it was an idea that kept coming back again and again until I decided to investigate it. I may have googled “pregnancy signs” or something of the sort. I’d been feeling very tired and there were other physical indicators that, when put together, spelled out M-O-M.

I only live about 15 minutes from work, so I stopped off at the store on my lunch hour and bought a pregnancy test. It was a stupid EPT test that was very ineffective at answering my question. EPT tests are the ones that have a plus sign if you’re pregnant and a minus sign if you’re not. The line that makes the minus sign is the control line that’s supposed to be bright pink no matter what the result is. My control line was very faint to the point of being invisible, but the line that’s supposed to make the plus was bright pink. All I could think was, “okay, what the hell does this mean?”

Later that night I sprung for the expensive, high tech test that actually says “pregnant” or “not pregnant.” That one was more accurate and a bit more fun, too. It was like pulling the arm of a slot machine and waiting to see how the fruit line up. Just for shits and giggles, I took it again before I went to bed so that I could see the word “pregnant” flash at me one more time.

I eventually made up for my un-romantic IM to Nathan with a cute reveal to my parents. We bought each of them a GVSU sweatshirt, one that said “Grandma” and another that said “Grandpa.” My mother’s reaction when she pulled hers out of the bag is one I will always remember. As she sat there screaming, my father, who had yet to open his bag, looked at my mother like she was nuts. “Open your bag! Open your bag!” she shouted. My father’s reaction? “Oooohhhh…”

Wow, has it really been a year?

About me

  • I'm Heather
  • From Grand Rapids, Michigan, United States
  • I'm a Michigan woman hoping to discover the secret to fitting 36 hours into a 24-hour day. Work, family, life, laundry blogging. Who has time for it all?
My profile

What I'm Reading

Frequent Haunts


    www.flickr.com
    This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from Nathan & Heather N. tagged with Autumn. Make your own badge here.

    < ? Blogging Mommies # >

    - Crazy/Hip Blog-Mamas+
    (Random Site)

Powered by Blogger
and Blogger Templates
Blog Flux Directory
eXTReMe Tracker