« Home | Pizz-am! » | Atta Boy! » | Office Space » | No, Heather, that's NOT normal... » | ...and to the left. » | Look to the right... » | Lactation Frustration » | Game Day » | Sunday (a.k.a. Laundry Day) » | I have my mother's nose » 

Wednesday, February 15, 2006 

The Fourteenth of February


This thing ROCKS!

My mom called me at work yesterday, and in that breathy, excited tone only she can manage, exclaimed, “Happy Valentines Day!”

Before I continue, let me explain that no one in my family ever gets that jazzed about Valentines Day. My parents are practical people. My brother and I are really the only proof that they have, in fact, indulged in a romantic rendezvous or two. Lest you think I exaggerate, let me also explain that my father has been known to give free car wash coupons to my mother as an anniversary gift.

So after the effusive V-Day greeting, my mother said, “Guess what? I have a surprise for you. You’re coming here for dinner tonight and guess what I’m making?”

“Oooh. Spaghetti?” I asked, mentally salivating at the thought. My mother’s spaghetti sauce is the best and the last time she made it for us Autumn was just a few days old.

“Yes, you’re coming here for spaghetti” she said, “and I bought the really good garlic toast.”

Well, bonus. That’s the great thing about grandparents. Any day they get to see the baby is a holiday for them, and any day I don’t have to cook or clean up is a holiday for me. Add the really good garlic toast and it’s Christmas all over again.

The evening was nice. Grandma D. was there and after dinner handed us a card and a small ring box. Inside was the tiniest gold band I had ever seen. I looked at Nathan and said, “She went to Jared!” The reference was totally lost on my grandma. She either must not watch as much TV as I do or doesn’t watch the channels that have been airing those stupid commercials since the beginning of February.

The ring doesn’t quite fit yet. I tried slipping it over Autumn’s index finger but it was too big. I imagine that when it does fit she’ll only be wearing it on special occasions such as holidays and photo shoots. I’m not really keen on the thought of someday digging through the contents of a messy diaper for it.

My parents ended up giving Autumn a gift that was a little more practical (there’s that word again); 25 jars of baby food and two stuffed toys. We stayed and chatted for awhile. Once Nathan started nodding off next to me on the couch, we decided to pack everything up and head home. These days we’re usually leaving with more stuff than we came with.

We spent the rest of our evening watching the four episodes of Arrested Development we missed Friday night. God I’m going to miss that show. Autumn spent some quality time in her Jumperoo. Her feet can just touch the ground now. She had a blast in that thing. At first she wasn’t quite sure what to do, but then she noticed the brightly-colored toys and started to enjoy the buoyancy of it. Once in awhile she’d spasm in delight and squeal, but there wasn’t much jumping involved. She’s still a little young for that.

On a final note, Nathan ended up giving me a small pot of tiny roses for V-Day. It was a surprise, and I suspect, an attempt to lighten the sullen mood I’ve been in since I returned to work. He also bought me a pack of orange Tic-Tacs. What a guy.

About me

  • I'm Heather
  • From Grand Rapids, Michigan, United States
  • I'm a Michigan woman hoping to discover the secret to fitting 36 hours into a 24-hour day. Work, family, life, laundry blogging. Who has time for it all?
My profile

What I'm Reading

Frequent Haunts


    www.flickr.com
    This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from Nathan & Heather N. tagged with Autumn. Make your own badge here.

    < ? Blogging Mommies # >

    - Crazy/Hip Blog-Mamas+
    (Random Site)

Powered by Blogger
and Blogger Templates
Blog Flux Directory
eXTReMe Tracker