« Home | A fable about karma » | AtumnTV » | Rollin' with the homies » | Mutant muffins » | Got Milk? » | The Reese's defense » | My future's so bright » | 365 days ago » | In case you were wondering... » | Let's take bread » 

Monday, April 03, 2006 

Saving Daylight


Feed me, Seymour!

Saturday night we were all sitting around watching TV when all of the sudden it hit me: Daylight Savings Time.

“Crap,” I said, “Autumn should be in bed.” Even though it was only just past 9 pm, I wasn’t sure how she was going to handle losing an hour of sleep. I knew how I was going to handle it and wasn’t really looking forward to rising early for church. The gambler in me decided to rely on my internal clock rather than my alarm. I figured I’d face the possible consequences of eternal damnation for choosing sleep over God.

The next morning, however, Autumn woke promptly at 7:15 am. I was imagining having to pull her out of a sound sleep, but she was awake, happy and hungry. Going to bed that night was a different story. While I put her down at 9 pm, her little internal clock was saying, “Wait a minute…it’s only 8:00!” We played the “insert the binky” game for about 20 minutes, something we hadn’t done since she started sleeping through the night. Id’ put the binky in, she’d spit it out and cry. Nathan would put it in, she’d spit it out and cry. Every time we’d go into her room she’d greet us with a smile that said, “I know you want to pick me up. Why don’t we hang out for awhile?”

The time in between waking and sleeping was pretty fun. We fed Autumn in her high chair for the first time yesterday. At her 4-month appointment the doctor told us we could start feeding her rice cereal. We tried a very soupy mixture of cereal and breast milk in a bottle a couple of weeks ago, but she threw up the entire contents of her stomach afterwards which left us thinking she wasn’t quite ready. Lately we’ve noticed her making a lot of chewing motions with her mouth which could be a developmental sign that she’s now ready. I say “could” because the chewing motions could also be a result of teething or mean that she’s ready to wean. At this point it’s a crap shoot, really.

So last night we mixed up another soupy mixture of cereal and breast milk and sat the girl in her never-before-used high chair. This time I fed her with a spoon instead of the bottle. What a laugh riot! As soon as she realized the spoon held yummy goodness, she attacked it with vigor every time it came near. Of course not much got into her tummy. She still has a bit of that tongue thrust reflex that wants to push things out. Tonight we’ll try a thicker mixture and see how that goes.

About me

  • I'm Heather
  • From Grand Rapids, Michigan, United States
  • I'm a Michigan woman hoping to discover the secret to fitting 36 hours into a 24-hour day. Work, family, life, laundry blogging. Who has time for it all?
My profile

What I'm Reading

Frequent Haunts


    www.flickr.com
    This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from Nathan & Heather N. tagged with Autumn. Make your own badge here.

    < ? Blogging Mommies # >

    - Crazy/Hip Blog-Mamas+
    (Random Site)

Powered by Blogger
and Blogger Templates
Blog Flux Directory
eXTReMe Tracker