« Home | More to ponder » | Directions » | 40 Days... » 

Sunday, October 02, 2005 

I didn't get fatter just to receive gifts!

I had my last two showers Friday night and yesterday morning. Let me tell you, we are so blessed to have so many people who care about us and this baby. We received so many wonderful gifts and warm wishes. I think I'm going to miss all the attention that comes with being pregnant. I made the mistake recently of telling my mother that I could totally "do this again." It was a moment of weakness. I was feeling good and much less cranky about the pregnancy experience as a whole and it just slipped out. At yesterday's shower I heard her talking about "the next one." I haven't even delivered the first one yet and she's talking about another one. Grandmothers....

Friday's gathering with my co-workers was by far the liveliest baby shower I've ever attended. Lots of laughter and drinking, though I was only able to partake of the virgin slushie and not the vodka one. Mary D. was kind enough to open her home up to our wacky group and we had a blast. Here are a few pictures of our fun evening:



That's Tammy, Mary D. (the hostess), Nancy and Melissa in the backround. Can you tell which slushies they have?



Katrina, Sharon and Pat. Katrina will soon be leaving our office to pursue her dream of becoming a crime scene investigator.



Brenda and Katrina. Brenda is due with her second child in just a few days.




Diane protecting her bottle.


Here's one of the cute outfits I received. Lord, I look tired here.



When I unwrapped this box, I said, "I don't think the pudding will last until the baby's born." Apparently the box was meant to throw me off. That Marianne's a tricky one...



This picture just can't do this afghan justice. Mary V.'s mom made it and it is gorgeous. It will be coming to the hospital with us.

I had to cringe the next morning when I downloaded the pics. I had been successfully avoiding the camera for 8 months and just wasn't prepared to see my vastness in living color. I know I have to make concesssions because I'm pregnant, but I've never been this big in my entire life. Of course I'm a glutton for punishment and brought the camera to Saturday's shower, too.

I handed the camera to my mom with some reservations. She has a notorious shaky hand when it comes to photography. After downloading Saturday's pics, I should have worried less about the way she took the pictures and more about the angle in which she was taking them.

Case in point:


Yeah, they're all pretty much like this.


Leora, Grandma S. and Grandma D. Grandma S. has macular degeneration, yet she can still see me well enough to tell me that I don't look 8 months pregnant. Before the shower I hadn't seen her since my dad's birthday in August at which time she told me the same thing; that I didn't look that pregnant. As I was opening gifts, she leaned over to Leora and I heard her say, "I don't think Heather looks that pregnant, do you?' Well, I knew Leora didn't think so either because that's one of the first things she said to me when she saw me. The capper came just before the ladies left and Grandma had to get it in one more time. "You really don't look that pregnant. You just look like you've put on some weight." I finally said, "Grandma, you can stop saying that now."


Here's my best friend Marla (in the green) and her sister Melissa. I've known both of them since high school. Marla just had her second baby boy 9 days ago. Doesn't she look great?


The lovely ladies who hosted the shower for me...


...and the wonderful food they provided.


Tearing into the gifts.


Another beautiful afghan, this one made by Leora. I like this pic because you can only see my head.


A huge basket of goodies from my mother. I received another one similar to this at my first shower with Nathan's family. This would be why the baby's closet is so stuffed now.

The woman in the red sweatshirt with the American flag is my parents' former neighbor, Maedy. She became a grandmother for the first time Friday night. Congrats to her son Aaron and his wife Sarah!

About me

  • I'm Heather
  • From Grand Rapids, Michigan, United States
  • I'm a Michigan woman hoping to discover the secret to fitting 36 hours into a 24-hour day. Work, family, life, laundry blogging. Who has time for it all?
My profile

What I'm Reading

Frequent Haunts


    www.flickr.com
    This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from Nathan & Heather N. tagged with Autumn. Make your own badge here.

    < ? Blogging Mommies # >

    - Crazy/Hip Blog-Mamas+
    (Random Site)

Powered by Blogger
and Blogger Templates
Blog Flux Directory
eXTReMe Tracker